Thursday, February 11, 2010

Today's RealtorRant: Learn how to leave a content VM!

Hey, all. Kevin here.

I haven't posted in a while and wanted to get back into the swim of blogging.

This week, with all the snow, our team has been working remotely from our individual homes, and I've been giving some thought to one of my biggest pet peeves. Agents who either don't know how --- or can't be bothered --- to leave an effective voice mail message.

Because we've been trapped at our houses this week, we've each been using our cell phones to communicate with the outside world. Now, if you know much about me at all, you'll know that I'm not a huge fan of the phone. It's a necessary evil of this business. Until the time when we use Twitter to negotiate contracts (I hope that day is coming soon!) though, we need our cell phones.

I rarely answer a call on my cell unless it's one that I recognize. That means I often need to respond to voice mail messages from folks who call me. Most of the time, this is fine. If a person has left a decent content message, I can retrieve whatever information I need to respond to his or her call efficiently.

However, my least favorite type of voice mail message is what I call the "Call Me" message. This is when someone calls and leaves a message that basically says, "Hey, this is Agent Fulana, please give me a call at XXX-555-1234."

Perhaps it's not rational, but this kind of message drives me to distraction.

First, I have no idea why you're calling; second, because I have no idea why you're calling, I may not be able to efficiently help you when I do call you back; and third, if I call you back and YOU can't answer, I've wasted time in returning the call in the first place. Now, we have to continue this round-and-round game.

Tag, you're it.

So, here's an article to assist all those Realtors who need to learn this skill:

How to Leave the Perfect the Perfect Voice Mail.


You're welcome.

No comments: