Thursday, August 06, 2009

Frank Lloyd Wright's Kentuck Knob

Two years ago my wife and I visited FLW's Falling Water in western Pennsylvania and just last week we returned to the region to visit another FLW masterpiece at Kentuck Knob .

Both houses are well worth the time and money to visit if you are ever in the Laurel Highlands of Pennsylvania, just outside of Pittsburgh and about 3.5 hours from the DC region. As a lover of houses, architecture and design I was particularly interested, but even if you are just a casual observer of architecture, you will enjoy a visit to these homes.

One unique bit of info that we learned on the tour of Kentuck Knob is that the family that commissioned FLW to design the home desperately wanted a garage but FLW thought garages were just places to store junk and would only design a carport into the plans for the house, see picture below.


I thought this was fascinating for two reasons. First, I totally agree that garages are a place to store junk. All you have to do is come to Brookland and see mine for a prime example! Second, I love that FLW is able to tell his client what they can and cannot do with the house they are paying him to design. It would be as if someone hired me as their Realtor and then when they liked a house I told them no because of my personal beliefs about the neighborhood, location, condition, etc. FLW must have been a real character, and at this point in his career I guess if people didn't like his suggestions it really didn't matter to him since it was his way or the highway!

Anyhow, a visit to either of these houses is well worth your time. I am happy to share more info about the houses and the area if you plan to take a trip that way, just email me at Michael@RealAstute.com.

No comments: