Thursday, January 31, 2008

Strange and Funny Things Do Happen in Real Estate!

There is so much negative news about real estate these days, sometimes it helps to hear some random funny stories about our business! Here is the case of the missing key:

On Tuesday night I was showing some clients an investment property in Ledroit Park for a second time. (Click Here to learn more about beautiful Ledroit Park). The property has 2 units. The upstairs unit has 3 bedrooms. The first time we saw the upstairs unit over the weekend we noticed that there was one bedroom that was locked and none of the keys in the lockbox would work. Before my client would move forward they wanted to see inside that room – seems logical to me!

I called the listing agent and asked her how I could get my client into the randomly locked room. She tells me that someone is “sorta” living in that room, but he isn’t a tenant just a friend of the seller. How someone “sorta” lives in a room is not clear! She also tells me that there is a key to that room “wrapped in a tissue and stuffed under the carpet on the fifth step” in the building.

My clients, a contractor and I, all in our nice work clothes, started crawling up and down the stairs trying to peel up the nasty carpet and find this little tissue with the key for the third bedroom. When it became clear we weren’t going to find it I called the listing agent back who was a little embarrassed. She quickly went into action and called the man who is “sorta” living in the room to find out where the key was located. She got the man on the phone line with me who told me to go to the kitchen and open the dishwasher, then open the plastic flap for the detergent – eureka, there is the little tissue with the key. It was definitely a strange moment that got several chuckles from everyone there!

As always, if you are thinking of buying or selling please do not hesitate to contact me at Michael@RealAstute.com or 202-369-9821.

No comments: